Rashid Johnson: Stranger at Hauser & Wirth, Somerset

Hauser & Wirth gallery in Somerset is hosting artist Rashid Johnson’s  exhibition “Stranger” until September 10, 2017.Rashid Johnson employs a wide range of materials and images to explore themes of art history, literature, philosophy, and personal and cultural identity. His exhibition at Hauser & Wirth Somerset unfolds throughout the entire gallery, with a combination of painting, sculpture, installation, and drawing, all completed during his two-month long residency. The exhibition takes its title from an essay ‘Stranger in the Village’ by James Baldwin. Originally published in Harper’s Magazine in 1953, it is the account of Baldwin’s experiences as a young African-American man, living in a small village in Switzerland. Much of this exhibition explores themes of escape, and of being a stranger or outsider. Rashid Johnson’s materials are rich in symbolism; crumpled parachutes hint at the idea of leaping into the unknown. A meta-narrative also exists within the work; the parachutes reference a mysterious man, known as DB Cooper, who hijacked a Northwest Airlines flight in 1971, extorted $200,000 and parachuted to an uncertain fate. Numerous theories as to his whereabouts, and whether he even survived, have been proposed over the years, but the mystery has never been solved.The exhibition is at Hauser & Wirth Somerset, Durslade Farm, Dropping Lane, Bruton, Somerset BA10 0NL. For details, visit: https://www.hauserwirth.com/exhibitions/3169/rashid-johnson-stranger/installation-views/ Click on the slideshow for a sneak peek at the exhibition.

Source link

قالب وردپرس

You might also like More from author

1. 오피런 says

I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here.
    The sketch is attractive, your authored material stylish.
    nonetheless, you command get got an shakiness over that you wish be delivering the
    following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again as exactly the
    same nearly very often inside case you shield this increase.

2. 오피런 says

I absolutely love your site.. Very nice colors
    & theme. Did you build this website yourself?
    Please reply back as I’m looking to create my very own website and would love to find out where you got this from or what the theme is called.
    Many thanks!

3. 일산오피 says

Superb, what a weblog it is! This website provides valuable information to
    us, keep it up.

4. meilleur massage lyon says

I’m no longer certain the place you’re getting your info, but great topic.
    I must spend a while finding out more or figuring out more.
    Thank you for magnificent information I was on the lookout for this
    info for my mission. https://goo.gl/maps/RLPFGxUQTms

5. Brainsense booster says

I truly appreciate this post. I havce been looking everywhere ffor this!

Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You’ve made my day!
    Thx again!

6. buy essay online says

I’m impressed, I have to admit. Seldom do I encounter a blog that’s both equally educative and interesting,
    and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head. The issue is something not enough people are speaking
    intelligently about. I am very happy that I stumbled
    across this during my search for something concerning this.

7. buy essay says

I really like reading a post that will make people think.
    Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!

8. http://broas1945xp4ay.wickforce.com/ says

Hello! I know this is kinda off topic nevertheless I’d
    figured I’d ask. Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest writing a
    blog article or vice-versa? My site discusses a lot of
    the same topics as yours and I believe we could greatly benefit from each other.
    If you happen to be interested feel free to shoot
    me an e-mail. I look forward to hearing from you! Fantastic
    blog by the way!

9. idea patent says

Unquestionably believe that which you said. Your favorite reason seemed to
    be on the web the easiest thing to be aware of. I say to you,
    I certainly get irked while people think about worries that they just don’t know about.
    You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the
    whole thing without having side-effects , people could take a signal.
    Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

Comments are closed.