Politics Sci-Tech Culture Celebrity

L train suffers major delays after investigation, mechanical problems


Commuters wait for the L train at the 6th Avenue station at 10:30 a.m. Thursday morning. L train service was briefly suspended due to an investigation. But announcements at this station said L trains were “only in stations” between 8th Avenue and Broadway Junction. There was no mention of suspension of service. (Maya Kaufman/Columbia Journalism School)

The L train experienced major delays Thursday morning due to an investigation and a train with mechanical problems at the Bedford Avenue station.

L train service was suspended between 8th Avenue and Rockaway Parkway around 10:30 a.m. this morning because of an investigation, according to a tweet by NYC Transit’s subway account. Service resumed with delays several minutes after the announcement. Two hours earlier, a train with mechanical problems at Bedford Avenue caused a suspension of service between Myrtle-Wyckoff and 8th Avenue.

The problems on the L line caused nearly three hours of delayed service, including during rush hour. Some riders said their commutes more than doubled in length as a result of the disruptions. Many turned to Twitter to air their frustrations with this morning’s subway experience.

At 10:15 a.m., NYC Transit announced on Twitter that L trains were being held in stations between 8th Avenue and Broadway Junction because of an investigation. The agency clarified on Twitter 10 minutes later that L train service was suspended between 8th Avenue and Rockaway Parkway due to the investigation. Several announcements at the 6th Avenue station said L trains were “only in stations” between 8th Avenue and Broadway Junction but did not say service was suspended.

At 8:12 a.m. this morning, NYC Transit announced 8th Avenue-bound L trains were running with delays because of a train with mechanical problems at Bedford Avenue. Twenty minutes later, the agency said there were no trains between the Myrtle-Wyckoff and 8th Avenue stations.

Lola Vieira, 27, was on the L train this morning heading to work in the Financial District when her train stopped shortly after pulling out of the Bedford Avenue station. She said she saw MTA workers looking inside the subway car and knocking on the doors.

“It was very creepy because no one knew what was going on,” Vieira said.

Vieira said she was told the train was not in service anymore because of a problem on the train. Riders would have to walk through three cars and get off at Bedford Avenue to wait for the next train. She did not hear any specific information on what was wrong with the train. Because of the delays, Vieira said, she arrived at work 45 minutes late.

Aidan Meyer, 22, said his commute from Bushwick to midtown normally takes up to 35 minutes. This morning, it took nearly two hours. Meyer got on the L train around 8:15 a.m. at Morgan Avenue. Just one stop later, at Montrose Avenue, the train stopped and the conductor announced delays. After about 20 minutes, Meyer said, there was an announcement that the L train was no longer running. Meyer took the J train instead but still missed his 9 a.m. meeting.

L train service resumed with delays just before 9 a.m., according to a NYC Transit tweet, but multiple commuters responded that their trains were not moving.

Many other subway lines experienced delays this morning, including the B, Q, R, E, F, M, 4 and 5 trains. Last Thursday five subway lines experienced major delays due to a track component that came loose at the 50th Street station on the 1 line.

Source link

Comments are closed.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This

Share this post with your friends!