Thinning of hair and hair fall can cause a lot of anxiety. It can even be demoralizing. The reasons for losing your hair can be simple like a vitamin deficiency. It may be more complex like an underlying health problem.
If you are suffering from hair loss. It is high time you look into the ways and possible means to stop it. And help your hair regain its natural thickness, shine, and bounce.
In this article, I have detailed some stunning ways to prevent hair loss and promote hair growth.
Hair Growth Pattern
It would be interesting to find out the pattern of hair growth so we can have a clear idea of how to handle it.
The hair grows from the root follicle which is under the skin. The blood vessels nourish the hair follicles and help in hair growth.
The hair growth goes through four stages
- Anagen or the (Growing phase)
- Catagen or the (Regression phase)
- Exogenotherwise known as (Shedding phase)
- Telogen is the (Resting phase)
The color of the hair is due to the presence of melanin. Eumelanin and Pheomelaninare the two types of melanin.
Eumelanin turns your hair from brown to black. Pheomelanin turns the hair yellow-blond to red. The color and shade of your hair are determined by the levels of this two melanin.
The cells that produce melanin are called melanocytes. They are present in the hair follicles. Our hair starts to turn gray when the melanocytes stop producing melanin.
Reasons for Hair Loss
Physical stress can lead to hair loss. Hair has three phases of growth. The growth phase, resting phase and shedding phase. When you go through a physical stress like surgery, accident or illness. The shedding phase is extended. This causes more hair to fall.
Pregnancy can be traumatic, and it involves lots of stress. This could result in hair loss. You can see more of your hair falling, after giving birth and not at the time of actual pregnancy.
Hair growth is affected when there is a protein deficiency. As you are well aware protein is essential for hair growth.
The other reasons may include
- Excess of vitamin A
- Male pattern baldness
- Female hormones
- Vitamin B deficiency
- Over styling
- Dramatic weight loss
- Auto immune related hair loss
- Polycystic ovary syndrome
- Anabolic steroids
There are other conditions which may lead to hair loss
- Hormonal changes
- Scalp infections
- Patchy hair loss
- Hair pulling disorder
Awesome Benefits of Onion Juice
Onions are rich in biotin. Biotin is essential for healthy hair growth. Onions are good sources of
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin C
- Dietary fiber
- Vitamin B1
Onions belong to the Allium family. It is rich in Sulphur containing compounds. These compounds are responsible for most of the health promoting properties of onion. Get your best onion juice from here.
Not only that these Sulfur compounds are responsible for its pungent odor. Onion juice contains outstanding amounts of polyphenols. They are a standout source of quercetin.
Onion juice promotes a healthy cardiovascular system. It increases bone density and provides direct stunning benefits for our connective tissue. It enhances the body’s immune system. It keeps unwanted chronic inflammation under control.
Onion juice provides holistic cancer protection. It helps to lower blood sugar and improves blood sugar control. It has great antibacterial benefits.
Not only that, onion juice helps in hair growth which is the central theme of this article. Scroll down to find some wonderful benefits of onion juice for your hair.
Importance of Good Diet
Onions are a great source of biotin. This B vitamin is essential for hair growth. It improves the overall scalp health. Biotin-rich foods such as eggs, almonds, peanuts, salmon, avocados, wheat bran and low-fat cheese.
You can include oysters which have lots of zinc in it. Zinc promotes faster hair growth, fights hair loss and dandruff. Sweet potatoes contain beta-carotene. It helps dull, lifeless hair to bounce with vibrancy.
Onion juice and bell peppers are a rich source of vitamin C. It helps the blood cells to carry iron to hair follicles. Collagen is essential for hair follicles, blood vessels, and scalp. Vitamin C helps in the formation of collagen.
Folate is essential for hair growth. Studies say that folic acid is effective in treating alopecia or hair loss. Spinach and onion juice are a great source of folate. You can very well add it to your cooking.
Onions are a rich source of vitamin B6 and folate. These nutrients are essential for the formation of red blood cells. These cells nourish scalp and hair follicles and promote healthy hair growth. These vitamins prevent slow growth, shedding or weak hair.
How Can Onion Juice Help In Hair Growth?
Onion is rich in Sulphur containing compounds. The four major diallyl sulfides present in onion are
- DMS- Diallylmonosulfide
- DDS- Diallyl disulfide
- DTS- diallyltrisulfide
- DTTS- diallyltetrasulfide
Onions also contain many sulfoxide compounds. Sulfur is one of the building blocks of hair. It improves blood circulation and helps in nourishing the hair follicles. These Sulphur compounds produce new hair growth and increase the length of hair.
The anti-bacterial properties of onion help to fight scalp infections. These infections are one of the causes of hair loss.
Onions contain enzyme catalase which prevents premature graying.
Onion Juice And Scalp Infections
Ringworm is a fungal infection that starts as a pimple on your scalp and expands in size. This causes temporary baldness in the affected areas. The fungi which cause ringworms are dermatophytes.
They appear as red rash in the form of aring. The crusted round spots cause severe itching. Using onion juice on the scalp can help you clear the infection.
The inflammation of the hair follicles can be said as folliculitis. It can occur due to increased sweating, oil accumulation and lack of hair care.
Each hair follicle has red pimples, and it can be both painful and itchy. Folliculitis is usually due to bacterial infection.
This is a condition where hair fibers are infected by a fungus. The visible indicator is the appearance of hard nodules on hair fibers. It has two variations black and white piedra. When the fungus is severe, it weakens the hair and results in hair loss.
This is a skin condition. It can involve temporary hair loss and infection. Stress and chronic fatigue can make the condition worse. Seborrheic dermatitis causes an excess of rich sebum. The excess sebum acts as fodder for microbes and results in infection and ultimately hair loss.
Demodex are little worms like creatures that live in skin and hair follicles. It does not cause hair loss. They may cause irritation on the scalp, particularly on eyelashes. Humans are infected when they come into contact with others.
DIY Onion Hair Treatment For Problematic Scalp And Hair
- Onions- smaller variety
- A blend of different essential oils- Tea tree oil, Rosemary essential oil, Cedar wood essential oil. You may mix one or more of these oils.
- Olive oil
- Coconut oil
- Lemon and water for well-conditioned hair.
- Take 5-8 small onions
- Peel the onions
- Puree the onions
- Put it in a clean cotton cloth and squeeze the juice
- You will get 3 to 4 teaspoons of juice.
- Add the essential oils. Add 3 drops each of the essential oils mentioned above.
- Take a cotton ball and dab the mixture onto the scalp.
- Massage the scalp gently with your fingertips. This process helps in absorption of orange juice and stimulation.
- Add coconut oil and olive oil to the leftover onion juice and apply on the hair strands and not on the scalp.
- Leave it for two hours.
- Rinse off with a natural shampoo
- Add juice of half a lemon to condition your hair. This takes away the smell of onion juice.
You should do this treatment regularly and religiously for up to a month for promising results.
Your patience will reward you with a healthy scalp full of vibrant, silky hair.
How To Use Onion Juice For Graying Of Hair
Research studies say that gray hair is due to a massive buildup of hydrogen peroxide in hair follicles. This is accumulated due to wear and tear. The hair cells produce a little of hydrogen peroxide because this is a by-product of respiration.
As you grow old, the amount of hydrogen peroxide production by the hair cells increases. So your hair starts to turn gray and then white. To make it simpler, you start to bleach your hair from within.
Naturally catalase is an enzyme produced by our body to remove hydrogen peroxide. When the level of catalase is low, and the level of hydrogen peroxide is high.It affects the production of Tyrosinase another enzyme which produces melanin in hair follicles.
Ultimately everything bubbles up to the buildup of hydrogen peroxide in our hair follicles.
Onion juice has been used for centuries for treating gray hair. It is rich in the enzyme Catalase. As we saw earlier gray hair is caused due to the reduced amount of Catalase. Studies say that Catalase neutralizes hydrogen peroxide and reverses gray hair. The buildup of hydrogen peroxide in hair follicles results in graying and thinning of hair.
How To Prepare Onion Juice For Gray Hair
- Peel the skin
- Chop off the ends
- Rinse the onion
- Cut it into pieces
- Put in a blender
- Blend the chopped onion for about 1 minute
- Place a cheese cloth over a strainer
- Add the onion pulp into the cheesecloth
- Press it with a spoon or spatula.
- Collect the juice in a bowl.
Method of application
Massage the onion juice onto your scalp. This ensures maximum absorption. Leave it for an hour. You will feel as though your head has been starched. It is absolutely normal. Wash it off with a mild shampoo.
6 Ways To Use Onion Juice For Hair Growth
If you are allergic to onions even topical application can bring about a reaction. Medicines such as Aspirin can increase sensitivity to onions. Do a patch test before attempting any of the following.
Onion Juice Scalp Soaking Solution
It is similar to above mentioned method. Take a large onion. Clean it. Cut it into pieces. Put it in a blender. Strain it. Apply to the hair for 45 minutes and wash off with a mild shampoo.
Onion Juice After Wash Solution
- I tablespoon onion juice
- 1-liter warm water
- Add onion juice to warm water.
- Use it for final rinse after you shampoo your hair.
Onion Juice And Rum
- 1 onion
- 60ml rum
- Chop the onion
- Keep it in 60 ml rum and leave it overnight.
- Strain it well
- Apply onto scalp and rinse with natural shampoo.
Onion Juice And Coconut Oil Pack
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons onion juice
- A few drops of essential oil. The essential oil can be any of your choice.
- Mix the coconut oil and onion juice. Add the essential oil. Massage it into your scalp. Rinse off with a natural shampoo. Use this pack once a week.
Onion Juice And Honey
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoon onion juice
- Mix honey and onion juice.Appl
- y to hair and leave it for 10-15 minutes.
- Shampoo it thoroughly. Use this pack once a week.
Onion Juice And Olive Oil
- 1 onion
- 1 cup beer
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Chop the onions and put it in a blender
- Remove the pulp.
- Add the beer and olive oil
- Mix it well and it forms a paste.
- Apply to the hair and keep it for 1to 2 hours.
- Rinse off with a mild shampoo. Use this pack once a week.
How To Get Healthy And Shiny Hair?
- Pick the right shampoo for your hair. Always natural shampoos work better.
- Nourish your hair with coconut oil and olive oil. Oily does not mean that it should be greasy.
- Have a clean and healthy scalp. To achieve this use onion juice on the scalp.
- Avoid hot water for your hair. Always use warm water.
- Start brushing your hair at the end to remove tangles. And then apply long strokes. This technique will ensure proper spreading of natural oils.
- Moisturize your hair with onion juice, olive oil, and beer pack once a week.
- Trim your hair regularly. Let the hair dry naturally. If you dry with a blower, use the warm setting instead of hot setting. Use the blower sparingly.
- Good diet plays an important part for shiny and lustrous locks.
Include onion juice for your every day in your diet. Onion juice bubbles up with nutrients that are essential for the hair growth. Natural remedies are the best fixes for any hair problem. So try out these amazing onion juice packs and bid adieu to hair problems.
Remember that it never hurts to try out natural remedies at home before resorting to other hair care treatments in the market. Onion juice, aside from its high availability, is a great alternative for chemically-induced hair care treatments from drugstores or salons.
The post How Onion Juice Can Help Your Hair Grow (Complete Guide) appeared first on Positive Health Wellness.