Again with this guy. (Facebook)
The hate-fueled xenophobic lawyer who had a meltdown in a midtown Fresh Kitchen on Tuesday, and subsequently became the most reviled man in New York City, was booted from his Manhattan office space and spent much of Thursday on the run from reporters.
Aaron Schlossberg—widely believed to be the man caught on video threatening to call ICE on a group of people for speaking Spanish—is no longer permitted to use his office space at 275 Madison Avenue, according to Hayim Grant, the president of Corporate Suites, which operates the co-working center.
“His actions were inconsistent with our community and rules, so we terminated the agreement,” Grant told Gothamist. Schlossberg apparently used the space for meetings and as a mailing address for his private law firm, which specializes in commercial and insurance law.
“If he comes here, we’re going to kick him out,” one of the building’s security guards told the Daily News. “I’ll throw my shoes at him,” another security guard told the Post. “We’re all hungry for him.”
Around the same time Schlossberg got the boot from his office, Congressman Adriano Espaillat and Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr. filed a formal grievance against him with the state’s court system. “We watched Aaron’s video and we were disgusted,” their letter read. “We are filing this formal grievance to the State Grievance Committee because to affirm that such misconduct and behavior will not, and must never be tolerated.”
The Bronx Borough President told Gothamist that his personal feeling is that Schlossberg should be disbarred. “Someone who has the privilege to be a member of the bar should not conduct themselves this way,” he said.
According to some legal experts, it’s unlikely that Schlossberg will be disbarred because of the incident, but it is possible that he could face some sanctions. “There’s a balance the court has to draw between protecting the public from an unfit lawyer on the one hand and honoring the lawyer’s free speech rights on the other,” Stephen Gillers, a professor of legal ethics at NYU’s School of Law, told WNYC.
Schlossberg has not responded to repeated phone calls and emails from Gothamist. Multiple reporters have confronted him at his home and in a Queens court house since the incident, but has still not publicly acknowledged the video. He has, however, sprinted from the media while wearing a ski hat on at least two occasions.
Here he is outside his West 60th Street home:
The man who racially accosted two women speaking Spanish in New York City yesterday — Aaron Schlossberg — doesn’t seem to like all the attention he’s receiving.
That’s the thing about bigots. They’re all self-absorbed cowards.
— Simran Jeet Singh (@SikhProf) May 17, 2018
And here he is walking casually in front of an NBC News reporter, than suddenly dashing away.
The lawyer who threatened to call immigration enforcement on workers at a Manhattan cafe earlier this week sprinted away from an NBC News reporter earlier today https://t.co/BCsW1WSWDG pic.twitter.com/rb5A6XZBXF
— NBC New York (@NBCNewYork) May 17, 2018
A GoFundMe Campaign to send a Mariachi Band to play La Cucaracha for Schlossberg’s law firm has raised $1,094. Now that he’s been ousted from his office, there’s a Latin Party planned for early this evening outside his Upper West Side residence, details here.