Warming centers offering relief from the bitter cold across tri-state region
In preparation for the sub-zero temperatures, warming centers are now open across the tri-state region, offering relief from the bitter cold.
Code blue warnings have been issued throughout New Jersey and New York, which is triggered when temperatures go down to freezing or below and means any homeless person will be accepted at any shelter.
In New Jersey, contact your local Office of Emergency Management (OEM) for more information.
In Nassau County, these emergency resource numbers will lead you to a warming center or emergency shelter:
- Nassau County Office of Emergency Management: 516-573-0636
- Department of Social Services (516) 227-8519: After office hours (516) 573-8626
- Long Island Crisis Center (516) 679-1111
- The Safe Center L.I. (516) 542-0404
- Nassau University Medical Center (516) 572-0123