Fleet Week’s Parade Of Ships Arrives On Wednesday Morning: Gothamist
If you have a view of the Hudson River between Battery Park and the George Washington Bridge, you’ll be able to see this year’s Fleet Week Parade of Ships!
The ships began entering New York Harbor at 7:21 a.m. on Wednesday morning, passing under the Verrazano Bridge. Around 7:46 a.m., Fort Hamilton will conduct an 11-gun salute to the flagship USS New York as it passes by. (According to NotifyNYC, “No live ammunition will be used.”) The Parade of Ships will end around 11 a.m.
There will also be a flyover from U.S. Coast Guard HC-144 aircraft.
Here are the ships included:
· San Antonio-class amphibious transport dock USS New York (LPD 21), from Mayport, Florida
· Kingston-class coastal defense vessel HMCS Glace Bay (MM 701), from Canadian Forces Base Halifax
· Sail training vessel HMCS Oriole (KC 480), from Canadian Forces Base Halifax
· Four USNA YPs, from Annapolis, Maryland
· Sentinel-class cutter USCGC Lawrence O. Lawson (WPC 1120), from Cape May, New Jersey
· Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer USS Jason Dunham (DDG 109), from Norfolk, Virginia
· Freedom-class littoral combat ship USS Milwaukee (LCS 5), from Mayport, Florida
· Keeper-class cutter USCGC Katherine Walker (WLM 552), from Bayonne, New Jersey
· Medium endurance cutter USCGC Campbell (WMEC 909), from Kittery, Maine
· Cyclone-class patrol coastal ship USS Tornado (PC 14), from Mayport, Florida
Fleet Week is the U.S. Navy’s almost annual (save for a Congressional budget impasse) celebration of sea services; the Navy says about 2,600 Sailors, Marines, and Coast Guardsmen will be on hand.
There are also other events today around the city:
Event: Fleet Week at Fort Hamilton
Time: 7:30 a.m. – noon
Location: Fort Hamilton, Engeldrum Bluff, 101st St. & Fort Hamilton Pkwy, Brooklyn
Annual event sponsored by Fort Hamilton. Spectators will be able to view participating ships as they travel through the New York Harbor during the Parade of Ships. Not open to the public. DOD ID required to enter base.
Event: Fleet Week at Fort Wadsworth
Time: 7:30 a.m. – noon
Location: Fort Wadsworth Overlook, 210 New York Ave, Staten Island
Annual event sponsored by the Gateway National Recreation Area and the National Park Service. Spectators will be able to view participating ships as they travel through the New York Harbor during the Parade of Ships. Event is free to the public to view.
Event: Navy Band Concert at South Street Seaport
Time: 12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.
Location: South Street Seaport, 12 Fulton St., Manhattan
U.S. Fleet Forces “Brass Band” will perform a concert at the South Street Seaport. Event is free and open to the public.
Event: Navy Band Concert at Arch in Washington Square Park
Time: 4 p.m. – 5:15 p.m.
Location: Washington Square Park Arch, W. 4th Street, Greenwich Village, Manhattan
Navy Band Northeast’s “Ceremonial Band” will perform a concert at the Arch at Washington Square Park. Event is free and open to the public.
You can see the full Fleet Week schedule here.