Report: Closing arguments expected to start today in the 2nd Avenue gas explosion trial
The trial, which started on Sept. 9 in Manhattan Supreme Court, was expected to last three months.
Maria Hrynenko, contractor Dilber Kukic and unlicensed plumber Jerry Ioannidis are standing trial on a variety of charges, including manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide for the March 2015 explosion at 121 Second Ave. that killed two men and injured nearly two dozen people.
They illegally tampered with the gas line at No. 121, where the restaurant Sushi Park was the retail tenant, then failed to warn those in the building before the blast, according to the Manhattan District Attorney’s office.
“Unbeknownst to the people who were walking down the street, driving down the street, there was a virtual bomb lurking under the East Village,” Assistant District Attorney Randolph Clarke said in his opening statement.
The defense has attempted to shift the blame away from the three, putting the responsibility on Con Edison and others.
Here’s part of a trial preview from the Times from Sept. 9:
Under New York law, prosecutors will have to prove that Ms. Hrynenko, Mr. Kukic and Mr. Ioannidis were aware that they were acting recklessly, and disregarded the potential risk of death to others. Prosecutors would also have to show that the risks were not something that a reasonable person would have ignored.
“Being aware of a substantial risk would seem to be inconsistent with maintaining their property and obtaining tenants, making it challenging to prove that level of reckless intent,” said Kevin McCarthy, a professor at John Jay College of Criminal Justice who previously worked as a federal prosecutor in New Jersey and an assistant district attorney in Manhattan.