Con Edison Customers May See Gas, Electric Bills Go Up – CBS New York
The utility is proposing an incremental rate hike over the next three years.
FLASHBACK: Con Edison Proposes Stiff Rate Hikes For Gas, Electricity Customers In New York
Under the plan, typical residents’ electric bills would go up about 4% each year. Gas bills would jump even more, increasing more than 7% each year.
The New York Public Service Commission appears poised approve the plan in January.
Con Ed says customers should follow these tips to lower their home energy bills:
- Lower your thermostat – Each degree over 68 can increase your energy usage by 3%.
- Consider a cold wash – Switching your temperature setting from hot to cold can cut energy use in half for washing one load.
- Upgrade your heating equipment – If you got your more than 10 years ago, you could save with an energy-efficient upgrade.
- Keep ducts and vents clean – Your heating system will run more efficiently, and it might last longer.
- Swap out your shades seasonally – Light-colored window coverings reflect the sun’s energy, while darker ones absorb it and release heat.
- Take showers instead of baths – Showers use half as much water as baths. Less hot water means less energy used.
Click here for more from Con Edison’s website.